The Golf Club at Berrigan was first established in 1905. It was originally a nine hole sand green course on what was farmland to the northeast of the township, north of the old saleyards in Corcoran Street and south of the railway line.
In 1920 the Berrigan Golf Links Co Ltd was formed by a number of citizens who purchased what used to be known as ‘the home nine’ on part of the present site. This was let to the golf club at an annual rental and eventually passed over to the club during the 1930’s. The gross income in 1924 was £130 and the annual subscription was one pound and one shilling.
In 1949 the club took a major step forward by purchasing land from the Corcoran Estate east of Cobram Road to extend the course to 18 holes. It was also registered under the Liquor Act. At around this time Burwood Engineering developed the first gang mower which was used extensively on greens throughout Australia. Improvements on this design are still used to mow fairways to this day.
In 1957 at a cost of around £13,000 a new clubhouse was built and by 1964 the Bowls Club amalgamated with the Golf Club and the bowling greens were added. The course was reduced back to twelve holes and then increased to eighteen holes again with locals working tirelessly to install a watering system to maintain the greens.
The Berrigan Golf Club more recently fell on hard times and the Barooga Sporties Group bought the property to ensure it was able to stay open and then completed major internal refurbishments.
Curlie the Curlew was a long time resident of the Golf Club, having been born there in the early eightys. He was so comfortable in fact that he would wander in and out of the Clubrooms calling out as he went and posing for photographs. Sadly he was killed in a dog attack in 2012.
Information and photo obtained from Berrigan Golf Club Centenary 1905 -2005