History

Short excerpts of the history of Berrigan. Further information can be found at our wonderful community-run Berrigan & District Heritage Museum.
More details about the museum can be found on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BerriganHeritageMuseum

John Jones was born in Wales and came to Australia when he was only 2 years old. He grew up in Bendigo and married in 1873. In 1878 he selected […]

Gentleman John Jones Read More »

Angelo Pola was born in 1869 in Switzerland in the small village of Campocologne. This is in a wine growing region near St.Moritz and close to the border with Italy.

The Pola Family Read More »

Royal Hotel RFS Mural

Did you know that the Rural Fire Service was originally formed in Berrigan? According to the Berrigan Advocate newspaper, the brigade was formally recorded in November 1900 at a meeting

First NSW Rural Fire Service Read More »

Lalalty School

The Lalalty School was officially opened in 1884, although a provisional school was in effect from September 1883 with Patience Leitch the first teacher. The original building and facilities were

Lalalty School Read More »

Nangunia South School

The Nangunia South School was established in April 1899 as a provisional school made of logs, joined together by mud. The school was located opposite the site (Northern side) of

Nangunia South School Read More »

Barooga Water Trust providing water to Berrigan

Berrigan township did not have a reliable water supply and in the early days had tremendous problems with water provision. The town relied on surface water or underground aquifers, however

Water to Berrigan Read More »

Berrigan Post Office

The first Post Office in Berrigan was a receiving office opened in May 1884 at Mr George Mitchell’s. A once weekly mail service was provided between Corowa and Murray Hut

Berrigan Post Office Read More »

Map of Lalalty and Nangunia Region 1900s

Back over a century ago there was a stopover point between Barooga and Berrigan which was aptly named Lalalty. It was located to the north of the Drop, just south

Lalalty Township Read More »

Federal Hotel

Shortly after proclamation of Berrigan as a village, Paddy Gleeson, an exuberant character to say the least, built the original Federal Hotel. He was also the licencee of the Nangunia

Federal Hotel Read More »

Ian Fuzzard OAM

Born 30th September 1928, Mr Fuzzard was renowned as a local historian, and published a book “Berrigan, Today and Yesterday” in 1965, which has been a primary source of information

Ian Fuzzard OAM Read More »

Momalong Hotel

The original Momalong Hotel was built in 1893 by Mr Curtis Drummond with the second licensee Mr John Rees. The destruction of the Momalong Hotel in the early thirties by

The Momalong Hotel Read More »

St Columbas Catholic Church

In the early pioneering days the adherents to the Roman Catholic Church assembled in private homes for the celebration of Mass, first by a travelling priest from Albury, and later

St Columba’s Catholic Church Read More »

Skip to content