John Jones was born in Wales and came to Australia when he was only 2 years old. He grew up in Bendigo and married in 1873.
In 1878 he selected land at Yarroweyah on what was then Cobram Station. During his time there he became involved in pressing for the extension of the rail line to Cobram from Numurkah. He moved with his large family to Berrigan in 1888, purchasing Pine Hill and Lindoola. Lindoola was subsequently merged with the property owned by Mr. Dickie.
Very little cultivation had been done on Pine Hill and he worked hard to make it one of the most highly improved properties in the district. There was a well on Pine Hill and farmers came from miles around to get water from it. Jones was recognised as a very progressive farmer, but he was also a great worker in the community and a leading light in public affairs.
He was amongst those instrumental in securing the railway line from Jerilderie to Finley, and was Berrigan’s first Justice of the Peace. He was also one of the first secretaries of the Berrigan Show and was president for some time during the 1890s. In 1912, he purchased Erindale after selling Pine Hill to J.Baxter at a then record price for land in the district.
Jones remained on Erindale until he retired in 1924 and went to live in Elsternwick, Victoria. He died in 1928, and his obituary described him “as a man of excellent character, honest, courageous, charitable and just, and as such, earned the highest respect and esteem of all with whom he came in contact.”
In Berrigan, John Jones was known as Gentleman John Jones because he always wore a collar and tie, regardless of the weather and the work.