The original Presbyterian Church of Berrigan

The original Presbyterian Church of Berrigan

In the early days the Anglican and Presbyterian Churches had a tacit agreement that the one with the greater number of disciples to his denomination would take charge of that area. As the Presbyterian dominated here in the early days this made the way open for their minister. This understanding came to a conclusion in February 1892, when the Advocate reports the first occasion two services were held in the School of Arts on the one day, when the Rev Trickett, Church of England minister from Urana, preached in the morning and the Rev John Dykes in the afternoon.

With the move of the Presbyterian congregation to a new parish region Rev John Valentine became the local minister. Rev Valentine was an outstanding personality, a magnificent leader, and an excellent townsman, being a foremost member of most organisations and founder of the Literary and Debating Society.
The whole town mourned the loss of this wonderful main when he died suddenly at 31. The front porch was named in memory of him, the John Valentine Memorial Church.

The church was formally opened by the Moderator-General Rev Dr Bruce on 11th July 1897. In time this building was no longer able to accommodate the growing congregation and a new home was found on the corner of Davis Street and Cobram Street. The former church is now a beautifully restored private residence.

Information and photo sourced from Berrigan Today and Yesterday by Ian Fuzzard

Skip to content